How is 2013 going for you so far? Keep up the momentum with this unique take on a Caprese salad. Cheers to a yummy and healthy new year!
Serves 1 (about 200 calories)
- 1 slice gluten-free bread of choice
- 1 slice Daiya Jack Style Wedge cheese; I used the wedge, but you can try with Daiya Mozzarella Shreds if you prefer!
- 5 fresh basil leaves
- 1 small heirloom tomato, sliced real skinny
- 1/4 cup frisée
- 1/2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Optional: sprouted extra firm tofu on the side
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees, or set your toaster to high.
- Place cheese on bread, and toast for about 10 minutes, just until cheese starts to brown.
- While you’re toasting, take your frisée in a small bowl, and whisk with balsamic vinegar. Refrigerate until necessary.
- When your cheese and bread are at desired melt-i-ness and toast-i-ness, remove from the oven, top with basil, skinny tomato slices, and balsamic frisée. Add fresh ground black pepper if so inclined. Press down with a spatula, so the flavors all absorb one another.
- I ate mine with some sprouted tofu on the side, as you can see in some of the photos.