Kristen came over for GNI (girls’ night in) on Saturday. We made gluten-free vegan enchiladas for dinner and then watched “The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.” Those mentioned above were amazing!
Ingredients for Sauce:
- 2 tbsp. safflower oil (or olive oil)
- 2 tbsp. gluten-free flour
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 2 tbsp. chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne
- 2 cups of filtered water
- 1 x 7 oz. glass jar tomato paste
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
Ingredients for Enchiladas:
- 1 pack gluten-free brown rice tortillas (Trader Joe’s has their own brand version, too)
- 2 cups dry short grain brown rice
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 2 cups baby spinach, washed
- 4 cups filtered water
- Chives to taste, chopped
Makes 6 Enchiladas that can be shared with more than 6 people 🙂
Directions for Sauce:
- Heat oil, flour, and chilli powder in a large pot. Allow to cook for 2 minutes on medium heat.
- Add remaining sauce ingredients, and bring to a slow simmer.
- Stir well to combine and dissolve the tomato paste in water.
- Allow to cook for 25 minutes on medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, as the sauce thickens.
Directions for Enchiladas:
- Meanwhile, combine rice and water in a pot with a tight-fitting lid.
- Bring to a boil and stir once. Reduce heat to simmer and cover with lid—Cook for 50 minutes.
- Add spinach for the last 10 minutes of cooking.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Make sure tortillas are at room temperature or even warm. (If they are cold, they will break.. eek!)
- Roll even amounts of the spinach/rice/bean combo in each tortilla, flap side down in a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Pour all sauce on top.
- Bake for 30 minutes, top with chives, allow to cool for 10 minutes, and then yummmmmm!!!!