I love vegan cooking because every dish is filled with the colours of the vegetable rainbow. I have fun with this over the holidays. That said, here is my recipe for green and red stuffed peppers, kale included!
- 6 sweet bell peppers (red or green)
- 1-1/2 cups red quinoa
- 3 cups of filtered water
- 4 cups washed and chopped kale
- 2 cups cooked black-eyed peas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- juice of 1 lemon
It serves 6.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a saucepan over the stove, bring water and quinoa to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 12-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the quinoa is cooking, slice the tops off the peppers, and remove all ribs and seeds. Tip: cut a very thin slice from the base to help the peppers stand up.
- Mix in kale, black-eyed peas, and olive oil to cooked quinoa.
- Place the peppers in a baking dish, and spoon the quinoa mixture into the peppers. Cover with foil, and bake for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sauté the mushrooms and balsamic vinegar in the saucepan over high heat until the mushrooms soften and look caramelized. (5-6 minutes)
- Remove stuffed peppers from the oven, top with mushrooms and lemon juice, and serve. The vegans, vegetarians, and health-conscious folks at your holiday dinner will be very grateful!
Optional: Add a dollop of hummus to each plate for a tasty compliment.