I wanted to make my boyfriend dinner the other night, but I was already in my pajamas so wasn't running out to the market. That's when my meatless pasta bolognese was formed. It took less than 20 minutes from start to finish, the ingredients are items you are likely to have on hand, and my boyfriend loved it!
- 1 package gluten-free penne pasta
- 1-1/2 cup your favorite marinara sauce, OR make your own by putting 6 large tomatoes, 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves, 4 teaspoons minced garlic, 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, sea salt and fresh ground black pepper in a Magic Bullet or blender.
- 3 veggie burgers. I am obsessed with the Amy's Bistro Burger.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Cook pasta in boiling water according to package instructions, drain, and rinse under cold water when al dente.
- While pasta is cooking, cook your veggie burgers over medium-high heat on the stove-top in olive oil, about 3 minutes on each side.
- When veggie burgers are cooked, place in a bowl with a few spoonfuls of the tomato sauce, and using a fork, break up the patties/mush them so that they start to look more like "ground" veggie burgers (to mimic ground beef)
- Toss your cooked penne with tomato sauce and ground veggie burger. Immediately before serving, reheat over the stove with a bit of olive oil if needed.