SPOILER ALERT: these homemade sun-dried tomatoes are extremely healthy, low calorie, easy to make, and addictive. Read on at your own discretion :)
Makes 4 servings (about 70 calories/serving)
- 12 medium to large tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- optional: celtic sea salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Slice your tomatoes into about 1 centimeter thick slices. (You do not want them too skinny or they will burn.)
- Spread a cookie sheet with olive oil and place sliced tomatoes on top.
- Optional: sprinkle with sea salt if you'd like. I don't put salt on really anything, but I'm sure they will taste super yummy with it!
- Bake for 3.5 - 4 hours in the oven. Just let them sit there untouched. Check on them after 3.5 hours. Depending on the oven, they may need more time or they may be just right.
- Remove slices immediately from the tray and spread them out on a plate at room temperature. Allow to cool.
- Eat these babies alone as a healthy chip-like snack, or mix them in a salad with avocado chunks, (I love the crunchy and creamy contrast!) Other ideas: on top of GF pasta or pizza with pesto, dipped in garlic hummus, with a veggie burger... comment below if you have more yummy suggestions!
- These can keep in a sealed Tupperware for 1 week.