A beautiful crust made from simply cauliflower, almonds, and flax seed. (fiber much?)
Ingredients for Crust:
- 2 tablespoons flax seed, divided
- 2 tablespoons raw almonds (or 1/3 cup almond meal)
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1-1/2 cup cauliflower florets
- Optional: sea salt, fresh ground black pepper, and garlic/onion powder to taste; (I didn't mind it bland, because I went crazy with the toppings, but if you want a more tasty crust, add these seasonings plus any others that seem appealing to you, like basil, rosemary, etc.)
Directions for Crust:
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Measure 1 tablespoon of flax seed, and grind it in a nut-grinder until flour like consistency.
- Mix the ground flax seed with 3 tablespoons water, and allow to sit in the refrigerator for minimum 30 minutes. (This is becoming your "flax egg" for those who are familiar with the term.)
- Pulse cauliflower in a food processor until it looks almost like rice.
- Grind remaining flax seed and almonds until flour-like.
- In a bowl, mix the "flax egg" with ground almonds, additional ground flax, and "riced" cauliflower until it becomes doughy.
- On a non-stick foil lined baking tray, press your dough into the shape of your crust.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. Allow to cool for a few minutes before removing from tray.
Ingredients for Toppings:
- 1/2 small baby yam
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup kale, washed, stemmed, and chopped
- 1-1/2 tablespoon dairy free cream cheese
- 1-1/2 tablespoon fresh pesto (you can make your own like in this recipe, or use store bought)
Directions for Toppings:
- Slice yam into skinny rounds, and lay flat onto a non-stick tray. Cover with foil, and bake at 400 for 25 minutes.
- While yams are baking, pour balsamic vinegar into a shallow pan over low heat on the stove. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes, stirring so as to prevent burning. Cover until needed. This is becoming your reduced balsamic glaze!
- Lightly cook kale in 1/4 cup boiling water for 1-2 minutes, and then drain.
- When your cauliflower crust is ready, spread on cream cheese, followed by pesto, and lightly swirl around so just combined. Top with kale, yam slices, and then drizzle with your reduced balsamic glaze.
- Slice pizza carefully into 4 pieces.