- 12 medium sized tomatoes, washed
- 1/2 cup gluten free bread crumbs
- 2 cups washed fresh basil
- 1/2 cup raw walnuts
- 2 cloves fresh garlic
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the basil, walnuts, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, sea salt, and black pepper in a food processor until the mixture becomes a smooth, spreadable paste.
- Place a few teaspoons of the pesto on the flat part of each tomato.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs on top.
- Bake in oven for 12 minutes. Turn on broiler and cook for additional 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven, and serve with balsamic vinegar and capers on the side. CAUTION: these tomatoes are mouthwatering, make extra because they go fast!