Ingredients for Sauce:
- 2 tbsp. safflower oil, (or olive oil)
- 2 tbsp. gluten free flour
- 2 tbsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne
- 2 cups filtered water
- 1 x 7 oz. glass jar tomato paste
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
Ingredients for Enchiladas:
- 1 pack gluten free brown rice tortillas, (Trader Joe's has their own brand version, too)
- 2 cups dry short grain brown rice
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 2 cups baby spinach, washed
- 4 cups filtered water
- Chives to taste, chopped
Directions for Sauce:
- Heat oil, flour, and chili powder in a large pot. Allow to cook for 2 minutes on medium heat.
- Add remaining sauce ingredients, and bring to a slow simmer.
- Stir well to combine and dissolve the tomato paste in water.
- Allow to cook for 25 minutes on medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, as sauce thickens.
Directions for Enchiladas:
- Meanwhile, combine rice and water in a pot with a tight fitting lid.
- Bring to a boil and stir once. Reduce heat to simmer and cover with lid. Cook for 50 minutes.
- Add spinach for last 10 minutes of cooking.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Make sure tortillas are at room temperature, or even warm. (If they are cold, they will break.. eek!)
- Roll even amounts of the spinach/rice/bean combo in each tortilla, flap side down in a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Pour all sauce on top.
- Bake for 30 minutes, top with chives, allow to cool for 10 minutes, and then yummmmmm!!!!